Good governance lays the foundation for setting the right purpose and direction for an organisation and the fulfilment of that purpose in an ethical, productive and responsible way. An effective board strikes the right balance between its compliance and performance obligations so as to generate value for the organisation and its stakeholders through governance excellence. Due to rapidly changing global priorities, stakeholder demands and a volatile risk and opportunities landscape, boards of all types from all sectors need to step up to optimise their performance to effectively deliver the desired ESG (environmental, social and governance) results that will drive ethical and sustainable success.
It is important that boards establish a meaningful suite of metrics and the means of assessing their own performance (both collectively and individually) to be able to drive through timely improvements for organisational development. Only if the board is truly effective and high performing can it lead and drive through its stewardship responsibilities for the advancement and performance of the whole organisation.
WHO IS THIS PROGRAMME FOR?
This programme is designed for current and future executive and non-executive Board Members and Senior Executives. It will consider all aspects of effectiveness, including the structural, technical, ethical and attitudinal elements that lead to meaningful change.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Understand the different types of boards, what they are accountable for and to whom
- Understand the nature and importance of governance and how boards can work with the executive and management teams to identify and achieve good governance standards
- Appreciate how to achieve a balance between compliance and performance obligations
- Understand risk governance and risk culture
- Define good board performance practices, both individual and collective, that are necessary to deliver the purpose and desired outcomes of the organisation
- Understand board composition and succession best practice
- Appreciate the various ways of assessing effectiveness and performance
- Be able to develop an action plan to improve your organisation’s board effectiveness
- The nature, purpose, principles and practices of ESG
- Accountability and performance
- Organisational purpose, culture compliance, performance and sustainability
- Measurement and evaluation criteria for board effectiveness
- Board oversight and assurance, and stakeholder engagement
- Improvement, development and succession planning
All courses will be conducted entirely in English. A proficient level of both spoken and written English is required by all delegates so that they are able to fully benefit from the course and participate in our interactive style of training.