Tackling neglected tropical disease
Accelerating the Sustainable Control and Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases (ASCEND) is a new programme funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to achieve progress towards global targets for the control and elimination of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs).
NTDs are a group of infectious diseases that thrive in poor and often rural settings, affecting 1.6 billion of the world’s poorest people and causing disability, disfigurement, stigma and death. ASCEND will focus on five NTDs: lymphatic filariasis, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, visceral leishmaniasis and trachoma.
ASCEND will deliver a range of key interventions for the control and elimination of NTDs in line with national strategies, while ensuring a strong health systems approach is applied. ASCEND will also work to strengthen relevant building blocks of national health systems, supporting countries to provide the prevention, detection, treatment and surveillance activities necessary to maintain the reduced disease burden in the longer term, and to prevent disease resurgence.
Crown Agents Limited has been appointed as the Fund Manager for implementation of Lot 1 of ASCEND which focuses on 12 countries in Southern and East Africa and South Asia. These are Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Malawi, Ethiopia, Uganda, Zambia, Bangladesh, Nepal and India. This page will be updated regularly on planned activities within each focus country.
Live Request for Proposals (RFPs)
- Required for Bangladesh: Development and roll-out of a mobile application for community and health facility level case-based registration and tracing of Visceral Leishmaniasis [VL] patients in Bangladesh. Apply for RFP [ON HOLD]
- Required for South Sudan: Prevalence Surveys mapping in 29 counties and SAFE strategy (provision of Surgery, Antibiotics, Facial Cleanliness and Environmental improvement) in 19 counties. Apply for RFP
- Required for Bangladesh: Support the national goal of elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) and scale up a minimum package of Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention (MMDP) service in the endemic districts. Apply for RFP
- Required for South Sudan – MDA & MMDP for Oncho and LF: Support the delivery of the Onchocerciasis and Lymphatic Filariasis elimination programme in South Sudan. Apply for RFP
We will shortly be putting out public tenders for the following activities:
- South Sudan – MDA for Schistosomiasis
To register your interest please follow this link: ASCEND: Call for registration of potential partners
Latest news and updates
In the meantime we’re delighted that urgent MDA activity has started in Zambia and Mozambique and we are currently assessing applications for the Ethiopia Impact Surveys for Trachoma, as well as the Lymphatic Filariasis services in Zambia.
Learn more about how ASCEND is tackling trachoma in affected river communities in Zambia’s Western Province.
For queries or information requests about the programme, email: Ascend_Enquiries@ascend.crownagents.com