This two-week programme combines:
Public Financial Management: Issues and Solutions 05 days
ESG, Green Public Financial Management and Climate Finance 05 days
Public financial management (PFM) systems are essential for the achievement of government policy and development objectives. The scope of PFM now extends to include sustainability and Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) risks and opportunities, and climate related concerns.
In the first week, delegates will explore the fundamentals of government reforms and the key issues and solutions across the PFM landscape. The PFM landscape includes: budget preparation and execution; accounting; financial reporting and trends towards results-based performance measurement; monitoring and evaluation; internal controls; integrated financial management information systems (IFMIS) and auditing.
In the second week, delegates will discover the ongoing and critical transformations to the PFM landscape related to the latest developments in ESG and sustainability, Green PFM and Green/Climate Finance.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Lead in developing solutions to contemporary PFM challenges
- Define the benefits of Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) reforms and budget processes
- Execute budgets and understand cash management, public procurement and internal controls
- Improve PFM compliance
- Adapt public finance strategy in response to key ESG risks
- Appreciate the range of financing options available for sustainable investment
- Understand how to meet ESG and climate-related reporting and accounting requirements
- Overview of PFM and origins of PFM reforms
- Public sector budgeting approaches and cash management
- Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA)
- Service delivery and performance management in the public sector
- Capital budgeting, planning and sustainable procurement
- The local and global drivers for Green PFM and ESG
- ESG and sustainability in programme / project appraisal and impact assessments
- Climate and sustainable finance, strategies and opportunities
- ESG bonds, financial instruments and investor perspectives
- Transparency, greenwashing, ethics and corruption risks
- Integrated ESG reporting under international frameworks
All courses will be conducted entirely in English. A proficient level of both spoken and written English is required by all delegates so that they are able to fully benefit from the course and participate in our interactive style of training.