This 10-day programme will deliver the essentials needed to equip delegates with the ability to draft legislation, creating original legal rules and delivering legislation that is well-written and legally enforceable.
Modern legislative drafting requires the application of essential principles and techniques. Delegates will learn what these are, and how a legislative sentence needs to be constructed. The course will stress the importance of using everyday language and indicate the common challenges that arise in the drafting process.
In a supportive environment, delegates will familiarise themselves with these principles in a hands-on way through a series of drafting sessions, receiving feedback and critique. This involves both working to improve pre-drafted texts and creating brand new legislative rules.
Working together to identify common challenges and solutions, delegates will be able to work through specific drafting issues faced in their own organisations, benefitting from peer inputs and the expertise of the course director.
It is designed for lawyers who are called upon to draft legislation, or those who want to learn exactly how legislative drafters need to go about their tasks. It will also be of benefit to people who instruct counsel in the preparation of legislation.
This is week two and three of The Legislative Toolkit.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Understand the essential characteristics of good drafting
- Improve your drafting skills through practical exercises
- Better assist the process of amending and updating statute law
- Understand how to use language that maintains consistency and is clear
- Identify areas of drafting in your jurisdiction which can be improved upon
- Understanding the key elements of good legislative drafting
- Best use of plain English and avoiding jargon
- Improving through practical exercises and expert feedback
All courses will be conducted entirely in English. A proficient level of both spoken and written English is required by all delegates so that they are able to fully benefit from the course and participate in our interactive style of training.