The governance challenges facing banks’ boards of directors and senior management teams have significantly increased in the years since the global financial crisis. Regulatory scrutiny has intensified, competition has increased and new cybersecurity risks are increasingly prevalent. Banks’ leadership teams consequently face an increasingly complex and daunting challenge in developing and maintaining effective governance arrangements to assure the protection of stakeholders’ long-term interests and to deliver the bank’s strategic objectives.
Effective governance arrangements are key to strategic decision making and intelligent and effective risk governance to ensure that a bank’s strategic and non-financial risks are being handled appropriately. Governance structures need to be set within an organisational culture that embraces integrity, accountability, openness and competency.
Essential for senior executives, non-executives or board members within the banking sector, this course increases delegates’ understanding of the nature and importance of good governance and how judicious risk management can make a significant and tangible contribution towards the success of their organisations.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the central role of risk governance in banking organisations
- Define an appropriate culture and behavioural framework that secures and maintains the trust of all actual and potential stakeholders
- Identify potentially disruptive developments in technology and regulation and ensure that the bank is prepared to evolve in new environments to avoid becoming irrelevant
- Develop a strategic approach to the allocation of banks’ risk capital and funding resources
- Effective governance and accountability frameworks
- Impact and implications of new financial technologies on strategy
- Evolving environmental, social and governance (ESG) obligations for banks
- The regulatory environment and its implications for compliance and performance
- Risk-based decision-making and effective change management
- Strategic risk management, including cybersecurity and stressed economic scenarios
- Individual and collective performance evaluation
All courses will be conducted entirely in English. A proficient level of both spoken and written English is required by all delegates so that they are able to fully benefit from the course and participate in our interactive style of training.