Globally, the first quarter of the 21st century is “the era of governance”, and the pursuit of good governance is very high on international, national and organisational agendas. Global governance codes of good practice continue to be refined and improved to meet the current and future challenges from an ever more complex and risky world.
The purpose of governance is to help build trust, transparency and accountability within a conducive corporate culture which proactively manages risks, fosters high performance and optimally achieves corporate compliance and control to enhance organisational and stakeholder value.
Corporate governance places expectations, responsibilities and accountabilities upon Boards Members and Senior Executives charged with running organisations to strive for a higher standard of consistent governance excellence. Excellent corporate governance provides the right strategic direction and control of every type of organisation. Through robust leadership, accountability, oversight and assurance, governance goes beyond just legal and regulatory compliance and duties of care and is the key enabler of achieving the very best outcomes for all stakeholders.
This programme is designed for current and future executive and non-executive Board Members and Senior Executives. It will equip them to effectively discharge their individual and collective governance roles, responsibilities and accountabilities, and lead the organisation to success and sustainability through governance excellence. It is invaluable and insightful for Board Members, Board Committee Members and senior (C Suite) executives as they transition from being a “doing” board into a “governing” board. This comprehensive toolkit covers the processes and oversight which drive the highest standards of leadership, accountability and behaviour. Strong governance is a key enabler for Boards and organisations to make well-informed and appropriate decisions, to implement them effectively, and to achieve critical stakeholder outcomes by acting appropriately and fairly.
It will assist delegates to design and implement the structural, process, behavioural, compliance, risk and performance elements needed within a robust accountability framework.
This is week one of the Leadership and Governance Toolkit for Boards and Senior Executives.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Define the nature, important components and requirements of corporate governance frameworks and integrate them harmoniously with other current initiatives
- Identify the structural, behavioural and procedural requirements of good governance with relevant roles, responsibilities and accountabilities within a conducive culture based on values
- Appreciate the importance of risk governance and how to achieve it
- Design the Board’s informational and assurance needs to discharge its oversight effectively while ensuring appropriate stakeholder engagement
- The framework, nature, importance, principles and practices of good corporate governance
- Board effectiveness including direction, decision making, oversight and stakeholder engagement
- Structural and HR requirements and ensuring the right culture and behaviours
- Achieving both organisational compliance and effective performance
- Effective risk governance and risk management
- Meeting informational and audit/assurance needs using three lines of defence
All courses will be conducted entirely in English. A proficient level of both spoken and written English is required by all delegates so that they are able to fully benefit from the course and participate in our interactive style of training.