Crown Agents USA, Inc. (CA-USA) is seeking a Clean Energy Financing Expert for the USAID Climate Economic Analysis for Development, Investment, and Resilience (CEADIR) Activity in Ghana.
Crown Agents USA
We are change agents for greater global prosperity, delivering practical innovations in economic governance and trade; humanitarian solutions and food security, health systems, monitoring, evaluation, and learning; and, supply chain as a partner of the US Government.
As a subsidiary of Crown Agents Limited, we leverage the expertise, resources, and network amassed from over 180 years of international development experience. Crown Agents works in 100+ countries, with on-the-ground presence in more than 35 and 13 permanent corporate offices in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We are wholly owned by a nonprofit foundation, allowing us to combine corporate agility with a commitment to reinvesting our profits in transforming lives.
Located in Washington, DC and incorporated in 1998, Crown Agents USA provides technical assistance and support to clients such as the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), the U.S. Department of State (DoS), and the U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA).
In September 2015, USAID developed a ‘Beyond the Grid’ DCA Loan Portfolio Guarantee designed to support $75 million in lending in sub-Saharan Africa. The facility currently provides one local Commercial Lender and two Impact Investors with partial guarantees with incentive to scale‐up engagement in the off‐grid energy space across the region and may add additional lenders. This eight-year guarantee facility will leverage $75.0 million in debt capital for businesses operating along the off-grid and small-scale value chains to support their activities in sub-Sahara Africa. Borrowers must be private companies whose primary activities are in the off‐grid or small‐scale renewable energy value chains, including manufacturers, distributors, retailers, installers, financial intermediaries, companies involved in the maintenance of renewable energy technologies, and special purpose vehicles backed by off‐grid renewable energy value chain assets. The objective of this Statement of Work is to increase utilization of DCA loan portfolio guarantees by energy access businesses in sub-Saharan Africa, while developing tools and strategies which can support financial intermediaries more broadly to ramp up off-grid and small-scale energy financing.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Clean Energy Financing Expert will work closely with the CEADIR Activity Manager, the International Clean Energy Banking Lead, the commercial lender, and relevant focal points in the financial sector as well as government officials.
The consultancy is for approximately 135 days to be carried out over 20 months commencing in November 2016.
- Collect information from diverse sources, including documentary and Internet resources, as well as representatives of government and financial institutions, to serve as the basis for the Desktop Analysis.
- Prepare initial drafts of the Desktop Analysis and execute revisions of the document based on feedback received from the CEADIR team as well as USAID, in consultation with the Activity Manager.
- Engage in discussions with the commercial lender with the objective of developing a work plan for it, working in coordination with the CEADIR Activity Manager, and develop drafts of the Mitigation Work Plan.
- Based on the discussions held and the Work Plan, the CEADIR Team may recommend that USAID exercise its option to create a grant facility. The Consultant will support preparation of an Action Memorandum justifying creation of the facility, for approval by USAID.
- Lead implementation of the work plan with the commercial lender, providing support for the coordination of technical assistance activities to be conducted by other members of the CEADIR team, with regular reports to and consultations with the Activity Manager.
- Provide support in the collection and organization of data needed for project results monitoring and reporting (M&R) activities, in coordination with the M&R specialist supporting this Task Order.
- Provide support in the preparation of materials for educational and knowledge transfer activities, as well as implementation of any seminars or training sessions under Activity 3 (“Learning Capture and Implementation of Broader Roll-Out”).
- At least a Master’s Degree in finance and/or economics, or engineering combined with relevant sector experience, with a PhD preferred.
- Between 10-15 years’ experience in the national financial sector (commercial or public bank) and/or with a regional financial institution
- Familiarity with banking, insurance and capital markets at the national level in Ghana and West Africa.
- Familiarity with government institutions, especially bank regulatory agency, Ministry of Finance and Central Bank
- Familiarity with energy projects and policy frameworks required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English required
To apply to this position, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name, along with “#13-67S Clean Energy Financing Expert - Ghana”, in the subject line. No phone calls, faxes or walk-ins please. Crown Agents USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and affords equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability gender identity, sexual orientation or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.
Crown Agents USA provides reasonable accommodation to applicants who are veterans or who have disabilities and are unable to fully use our company application system. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify our Recruiting Department at email@example.com.